So, it has been a while... all because I was waiting for someoneeee to write a post. But, okay so there is a lot to say.
My classes
So I am teaching 5 classes, of three different levels this year. I have a Convo, a Span 2 and 3 Spanish 1s. My convo is great, the kids are really good. The class is made up mostly of classified kids (like 16 out of the 18 are classified) but, honestly they as a whole they are doing really well. Since so many of these kids are at different levels, from severely classified students who are taking it on a pass/fail basis to heritage speakers, it takes a lot of planning on my part. I have to differentiate a lot and try to think of ways to keep the level of work basic enough for the general class but I also have to create other activities for those kids who finish in 2 minutes. It's definitely a learning experience, and you know what? Even though this is a hard class, it's better to have it my first year so that I am better equipped later on :)
My Spanish 1s are fairly good. I have one class that is very difficulty - managament wise. Most of the students in this particular class are friends so they tend to chit-chat and disrupt class. They are getting better, but they are definitely my least favorite class. It's funny because, individually I love the kids in that class. They are hysterically funny, but as a whole... they need to calm down lol. My other Spanish 1s are good. The only problem in Spanish 1s is the different backgrounds in Spanish these kids have. It is a Spanish 1 course, so I have to treat it as such. I have to start with the basics... but the majority of the students have taken Spanish since middle school or even second grade! So many students are bored, yet they are not advanced enough to take a Spanish 2 course either. It's frustrating for them, but I really can't do anything about it because 1) I have to be fair to those students who have never taken Spanish before, and 2) I have to follow the curriculum. It's gonna be interesting, but I think once we get more into the units, those students who are bored will find that they are in the right level.
My Spanish 2 class... ahh my favorite. It's awful I know, but I love them the best. I want to bake them cookies or something lol. Of course, this might change as the year goes on, but I heart them. The kids are great, and I get to use a lot more Spanish. It's a good class.
The school
As I may have mentioned, my mentor is wonderful. She is very helpful. Actually, my entire department is great. The people are nice, and are younger (late 20s, 30s, with a couple of veterans). They are all addicted to coffee.. like me :) So there is always a fresh pot of coffee made!
Otherwise, the school as a whole is really good. I have a ridiculous amount of Special Ed kids, in comparison to the other teachers (like a 3rd out of my 100 students are classified), but it hasn't proved too difficult yet. Now, I just gotta modify my instruction according to the IEPs and I have to actually go to the CST and read all of those IEPs lol.
I went to my first CST meeting the other day, and we decided to not classify the student. It was definitely interesting to go to one of these meetings and see how the process starts.
My biggest goal right now is to start going to some sport games. I want to support my students and get more involved with the campus. I have a few freshman on the Freshman Football team, and I have a couple of students on the Varsity Football team. And of course, a bunch of soccer players. I'll have to go to a game soon :)
My coworkers are great, I recently started speaking more with a new Science teacher. She is a second year teacher, and she stays late, too. So we've bonded over that lol
Whoo. Okay so that's a basic rundown lol. Overall I love it. Every minute of it... even if it is taking over my life! haha. hasta pronto! <3
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment