So yesterday was one of the first days that I went home very sad for my students. So I have 12 special ed students on my caseload (all students that I teach). I am their caseworker and its my job to make sure that they are getting their accomodations and I have to create their IEP meetings and run their meetings and teach them math and their IEP goals. So its a lot of time invested in these kids. I must say that I have a pretty rough group of students who get in trouble a lot, but they are still good kids. So yesterday, started off ok. I only had one class to teach and they had a quiz. It went pretty well. The students were pretty quiet and they were going through the test. Then I had two meetings after., They were meetings about two of my kids who were having behaviorally issues. The meeting was about behavior and possible placement changes. The first meeting was for this on kid who has multiple disabilties, emotionl disturbance, specific learning disbility and other health impairment (I think ADD). He is such a wild little kid. He hs very impulsive behaviors. In the middle of class, he will just yell out or make faces and wonder around. He acts like a little kid sometimes just wanted constant praise and attention. But he is also a great dancer and he sings and he is a very sweet kid. He really wants to learn and behave. And so we had his meeting and his mom and aunts came. We discussed his behavior and it was a pretty intense meeting. His mother was very defensive and of course she would be to defend her son. In the end, it was decided that a more restrictive setting would be more approprite for him. He does better in small group settings which we don;t have at my school. So for his good, we thought he would do better at a new school who can offer him more.
After that meeting, I had me next meeting. It was for another kid who is just very impulsive and is also ED and ADHD. He is very impulsive, often refuses to do work and so on. I also tutor him after school. So his father came in for the meeting. He was such a nice man and he seemed little upset. He was talking about his recent chemotherapy. He also started to talk about how he was reading a book about giving up and then sometimes he feels like its easier to just give up then keep trying. I guess he was talking about his life. He got a little emotional and started to tear up and it was just so sad, thinking about him and his son and everything and towards the end of the meeting he was talking about how he has to be there for his son and so on. and it just made me so so sad. And we also decided that this student should be placed in a different setting, a more restricitve setting. And also during the meeting, the school psychologist was there and she was talking about how in the counseling group that she has with this student, that he was telling the group that they should also do tutoring. and saying that he does tutoring and that it is helping his grade. That also made me just sad because I won't be tutoring him anymore.
I guess the whole day was just emotional. Thinking that these students on my caseload are now leaving to a new place. I was only able to have them as students for like four months. By xmas, they will likely be gone. And today, I found out that one of my other students who i tutor, teach, and is on my caseload was transferred to a new school as well. So basically, in two days, I lost three students on my caseload. Its just really sad. and when I came back from those meetings yesterday, I looked at their quizzes that they had just taken and one got a 100 and the other one got a 93. Thats amazing for them. I told them this morning about their quizzes and they were just so happy. It was great to see that smile on their faces for doing so well and not acting all wild and such. They were just happy. So yeah. Its just been sad. but I am sure it will get better.
After that meeting, I had me next meeting. It was for another kid who is just very impulsive and is also ED and ADHD. He is very impulsive, often refuses to do work and so on. I also tutor him after school. So his father came in for the meeting. He was such a nice man and he seemed little upset. He was talking about his recent chemotherapy. He also started to talk about how he was reading a book about giving up and then sometimes he feels like its easier to just give up then keep trying. I guess he was talking about his life. He got a little emotional and started to tear up and it was just so sad, thinking about him and his son and everything and towards the end of the meeting he was talking about how he has to be there for his son and so on. and it just made me so so sad. And we also decided that this student should be placed in a different setting, a more restricitve setting. And also during the meeting, the school psychologist was there and she was talking about how in the counseling group that she has with this student, that he was telling the group that they should also do tutoring. and saying that he does tutoring and that it is helping his grade. That also made me just sad because I won't be tutoring him anymore.
I guess the whole day was just emotional. Thinking that these students on my caseload are now leaving to a new place. I was only able to have them as students for like four months. By xmas, they will likely be gone. And today, I found out that one of my other students who i tutor, teach, and is on my caseload was transferred to a new school as well. So basically, in two days, I lost three students on my caseload. Its just really sad. and when I came back from those meetings yesterday, I looked at their quizzes that they had just taken and one got a 100 and the other one got a 93. Thats amazing for them. I told them this morning about their quizzes and they were just so happy. It was great to see that smile on their faces for doing so well and not acting all wild and such. They were just happy. So yeah. Its just been sad. but I am sure it will get better.
just keep working from the heart miss jess. it´s great what you are doing and how much you care for these little upstarts. all the best from guatemala
ReplyDeleteosagi
Hey sweetheart, that's tough. I don't think people realize, or even we realized, how much we end up caring about these kids individually. Now even though they are leaving you, you gotta hope they are going to a school that is more suited for them. And most importantly even though you only had them for 4 months, they will remember you just as much as you will remember them. Knowing you, I know you were probably on their ass (in the most fantastic way, cause I do the same thing) about getting good grades. Sometimes just having you or someone there telling them they can do it is enough. I am sure all he hard work you have been putting in on them will go with them when they leave. Take pride in the fact that you are doing a good job and that you do matter to these kids. :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness this post and the replies made me wanna cry. you're such a great person and i love you for being so dedicated. seriously, keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteAW. I just got to read these comments! Thanks so much guys! These comments mean a lot to me and definitely make me feel better. Love you all
ReplyDelete